So now, this is just about the coolest thing on Earth. In the US, particularly, the Saturn didn’t fare so well, but it’s one of my favorite systems, with such classics as Guardian Heroes (please please please get released on XBLA,) Shining Force 3, and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

playsega10122

The more mainstream gamers who bought a Saturn probably did so for the fantastic port of Street Fighter Alpha 2, and lucky them, they got the best fighting gamepad ever, the Saturn Japanese style controller. Sega’s bringing this to the PC! If it works like it should, any non-analog retro games will be a dream with this controller– though I think the coloring’s pretty ugly.

The controller comes free with a 3-month $14.95 subscription to PlaySega, Sega’s browser-based online gaming portal, which just recently added Genesis games to their lineup.  According to N-Europe, you can sign up for a free 10-day trial of the service, allowing you full access to all of the typically pay-to-play games. Why not give it a try and if it’s worth it, sign up and get that sweet USB gamepad!

PlaySEGA, Pay Nothing [N-Europe via Joystiq]

Author: John View all posts by
I am John, a contributor of Hot Blooded Gaming. Check out my Staff Profile. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at john@HotBloodedGaming.com

17 Comments on "Amazing Sega Saturn USB Controller! And yet ANOTHER way to play Sonic the Hedgehog."

1. martin the fat ninja October 14, 2009 at 08:35 - Reply

Hi guys,
    If anyone wants to try VIP for 10 days for free, visit: http://www.playsega.com/promo

Also, use the code ‘segafans’ to get 15% off your first subscription (if you decide to sign up).

Cheers,
    Martin @SEGA Europe

• JesusHMacy October 21, 2009 at 18:55 - Reply

I’m not sure if this is spam, but I think it is so ima digg down

2. pastaalforno October 13, 2009 at 21:56 - Reply

Awesome, just hearing the mention of Saturn makes me feel nostalgic. I’m really digging this.

The 3 month trial with the free controller is very enticing indeed. I just may give it a shot.

3. wardog546 October 13, 2009 at 21:10 - Reply

awesome. The Internet is segas console now!

4. Death_Monkey October 13, 2009 at 16:26 - Reply

Sega played it smart, by still making money today.

5. HitokiriBoricua October 13, 2009 at 14:23 - Reply

This doesnt appeal to me however for those that it does appeal too, this is awesome stuff. I mean a 3 month subscription to PlaySega and its a USB controller. What more can you ask for

6. DeadStretch October 13, 2009 at 13:16 - Reply

That’s pretty awesome! If I had the money I’d definitely buy that and the PlaySega sub.

7. SpudFella October 13, 2009 at 12:11 - Reply

I played my Saturn yesterday and the controller is as good as ever.

I’m wishing for Guardian Heroes on XBLA too, either with gorgeous redrawn HD sprites or a straight port complete with slowdown lol. I dont care just give me online co-op and I’ll buy it. :D

• John October 13, 2009 at 12:45 - Reply

Redrawn HD sprites with low slowdown and maybe the ability to use the enemy characters in the campaign, or play as the Golden Warrior, would make this literally the best Xbox Live Arcade title ever made. I’d pay $60 for it. Though I did pay about $90 for the Saturn game itself.

• SpudFella October 13, 2009 at 21:11 - Reply

Sounds good to me, time to petition Sega and Treasure. xD

8. Kiam74 October 13, 2009 at 06:29 - Reply

Shining Force was the shit, i might have to pick this up.

9. Tovan October 13, 2009 at 06:09 - Reply

That’s pretty awesome, might have to think about this one.

10. Kreyg October 13, 2009 at 05:52 - Reply

I think I will get this just to play shining force 3. That game sells for a lot on ebay and is one game that I’ve wanted to play for a LONG time

11. Johanso October 13, 2009 at 05:48 - Reply

You know what, I’d actually pay money for that. Not a lot of money, but money.

12. MoeThirteen October 13, 2009 at 05:46 - Reply

Now sega is even on the pc. Sega don’t need no console, consoles are for suckers!