A Modern Rocket Knight Sequel!

As a retro gamer, I’ve played almost all of the triple A titles for the Genesis. (I’ve also played a lot of the single A, B, and C titles, too.) One set of games that stands out really well even nowadays is Rocket Knight Adventures and it’s sequel, Sparkster (also released on the SNES,) beautiful well-designed platformers that gave an awesome sense of speed. Konami recently announced what appears to be a brand new game in the series, coming 2010 to XBLA, PSN and Steam.

Here’s the latest trailer:

Normally, I’m wary of “remakes,” but Konami is handling this the right way: rather than potentially sully a classic, they seem to be making a brand new game using the same basic concepts that they got so right the first time. I usually prefer 2d sprites, but the art style demonstrated in the trailer is clean and good looking, and if they keep the awesome gameplay they’ll have a definite buy from me.

Rocket Knight Exclusive Debut Trailer HD [1UP.com via Kotaku. Thanks DeadStretch!]

Author: John View all posts by
I am John, a contributor of Hot Blooded Gaming. Check out my Staff Profile. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at john@HotBloodedGaming.com

12 Comments on "A Modern Rocket Knight Sequel!"

1. Vincent October 21, 2009 at 20:00 - Reply

YESH!! I remember my brother would play the crap out of this game and the only time for me to play would have to be at night when he was asleep. Yes this brings back good old memories.

2. JesusHMacy October 21, 2009 at 18:20 - Reply

Looks like some good times

3. MrTastyDDR October 21, 2009 at 16:32 - Reply

ahh, brings back some memories of me sucking at that game lol

4. Joelsteen October 21, 2009 at 15:48 - Reply

To me, it looks pretty good, except for the fact that the sword attack animation looks a bit plain. Kinda like a small swipe. I loved the original Rocket Knight. So as long as they keep Sparkster as cute, funny, and lovable as the original, it’ll definitely be a buy from me. This game also reminds me of the old DK games.

5. Punkovision October 21, 2009 at 15:25 - Reply

I don’t remeber this game but seeing the past gameplay’s it look fun and now this new one…it looks cool…i never seen anything like this except that game called “braid” i think and castle crashers and another one but this one looks different…it looks cool :)

6. DeadStretch October 21, 2009 at 15:14 - Reply

Yea, I’ve never played or heard of this game until I seen the news about it. Like I said I’m a hawk when it comes to Xbla Titles. I also never owned a Genesis. I will be patiently waiting the release of this game.

7. Hyperdementia October 21, 2009 at 14:41 - Reply

yeh know what… they should remake Dynamite Heady, that game was one of the most fun side-scrollers I played on the Genesis

8. xDSJxPyro October 21, 2009 at 13:57 - Reply

I have never played the played the original, but after seeing that video I may have to give it a try. looks pretty good.

9. Xsutra October 21, 2009 at 12:55 - Reply

That’s pretty cool, might give it a try!

10. SpudFella October 21, 2009 at 12:26 - Reply

I thought the originals were good even though I was crap at them so it’s nice to see a remake staying faithful to the originals gameplay. :)

11. KR3W619 October 21, 2009 at 12:23 - Reply

Wow,looks pretty fun,I will probably get this.

12. turinx October 21, 2009 at 12:06 - Reply

As someone who experienced a lot of these “retro” games originally in the 90’s, I tend to cringe whenever I see a remake of them. However, this actually looks pretty cool and hopefully Konami does the original justice.