15 Years of PlayStation

15 years ago on December 3, 1994, the PlayStation was released in Japan.  The big contenders at that time were Nintendo and Sega.  No one knew what to think or if the PlayStation would even last.  The PlayStation brand was born out of betrayal by Nintendo, and the vision and dream of Ken Kutaragi.  If you told Sony 15 years ago that they’d be where they are today, they might not believe it.

The original PlayStation took the video game industry by surprise and proved to be the dominant console of it’s generation.  With the capabilities of the PlayStation and the awesome library of games, the PlayStation earned it’s rightful place as a household name.  We all remember games like Final Fantasy VII, Syphon Filter, Crash Bandicoot, Parapa The Rappa, and many more.

Over the last 15 years PlayStation has grown into a dominant brand in video games.  With 3 consoles (each with multiple designs) and handheld units, almost anyone you ask can tell you what PlayStation is.  Thanks for the great games and good times PlayStation.  You can check out a little more about the history of the PlayStation brand here.(it’s in japanese)

Share some of you “Play-Stay-SHUN” memories here with us today.

38 Comments on "15 Years of PlayStation"

1. HitokiriBoricua December 4, 2009 at 21:07 - Reply

Yup Playstation has played a major part in my Life as a Gamer. I’ve always enjoyed Playstation and will continue to support them until the day the go broke lol

2. Labtech December 4, 2009 at 19:48 - Reply

Interesting site. I still have my PS1

3. Nolan0wnsyou December 4, 2009 at 00:52 - Reply

It’s all about Crash Bandicoot and Ape Escape! <3

4. Takerrox December 4, 2009 at 00:10 - Reply

I played NHL 96 when i was 5 with my dad and got pwned EVERY TIME!!!!

5. WNxAvenger December 3, 2009 at 21:59 - Reply

The first game I ever played on a playstation was Gran Turismo…man..Good times.

6. Josalman December 3, 2009 at 21:57 - Reply

I had alot of good times with my ps1 spyro,crash bandicoot,spacejamand there was others ^___^ My PS2 was my favorite i still hvae my slim i loved the MGS games and gta games final fantasy etc hope playstation will always keep me entertained for long time ^___^

7. evan 121 December 3, 2009 at 21:57 - Reply

i hav not owned a ps but i have playd my frends ps3. my favriot game for plastation is mgs4

8. WAdeo December 3, 2009 at 21:56 - Reply

ah playstation…sooo many hours on final fantasy VII/VIII and Tekken 2 logged

and now my ps3′s collecting dust :(

9. Vis87 December 3, 2009 at 21:56 - Reply

My favorite memories with playstation is playing jetmoto, fighting force, and gta for the first times. Ps2 was amazing with games like black, grand turismo 3, and gta’s. Good times in the glory days of gaming.

10. Kaiilum December 3, 2009 at 21:56 - Reply

in 1997 i got my first playstation with 2 games =)
    Doom & micro machines 3D

Ahhhh good times (Y)

11. Froodge December 3, 2009 at 21:54 - Reply

I used to play all the Crash Bandicoot games on PS1 back in the day.

12. MPkNight December 3, 2009 at 21:51 - Reply

I remember when I tore down my PS2.
    I got fu**ed over by $250.

13. spyrorox879 December 3, 2009 at 21:51 - Reply

spyro was my first ps1 game ever

14. DeltronZero000 December 3, 2009 at 21:23 - Reply

The Playstation Franchise has been absolutely amazing. I have not got my hands on a PS3, yet but i have had ps1 and ps2. On PS1 my favorite games were Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. On PS2 it was GTA: SA and MGS 3:SE

15. juanchito2 December 3, 2009 at 21:21 - Reply

hehe, i remember all my soccer games and war games with my bro….. good times

16. BrainFire December 3, 2009 at 21:17 - Reply

Man all those memories of my ps1, Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, and Soul Reaper…good times

17. Aidan Drisdell December 3, 2009 at 21:13 - Reply

i still have my PS1 and it works and i love the PS3 its my faverote and GTA4

18. DonGames360 December 3, 2009 at 20:21 - Reply

Awww I remember the 1st RPG I have beaten. And that was FFX man that was one of the best games of all time playing it on my ps2.

19. Kwyjibo604 December 3, 2009 at 20:14 - Reply

The original playstation. Such found memories. I remember my brother playing FF7 while I read the guide to help him out. I recall my brother’s friend skipping high school classes just to play it at our house. I remember the sore fingers from playing street fighter alpha 2. I remember freaking out the first time fighting the tryrant in RE2. Castlevania:SotN and Metal Gear Solid lead to some late nights. Playstation, one of the oringinators of 32-bit 3d gaming. Congrats for 15 years, and here’s to 15 more.

20. dragonquestking December 3, 2009 at 18:13 - Reply

Ah i remeber the days of the playstation it was awesome playing games like a game where 4 people played in a cube and it rotated and you tryed to kill the others that was awesome. I still have the original ps1 and ps2 in my bed room and the ps3 in the living room.

21. Chris_is_dop3 December 3, 2009 at 17:42 - Reply

AWw! the memories, I remember playing my first play station in my friends house with the ps1 back when the PlayStation 2 just recently release and 1 year after I finally got my ps2 on sale. :-)

22. xReaper29 December 3, 2009 at 17:41 - Reply

I remember the first Playstation. I was sooooo addicted to it.

23. MrTastyDDR December 3, 2009 at 17:40 - Reply

PS2 was kick ass because of Ape Escape, and .hack series :3

24. cynicalbrit December 3, 2009 at 17:09 - Reply

PS2 was the first console I ever owned and it carried me from 2001 until 2006 perfectly. Here’s to all the great times and for turning me into a gamer Sony.

• cynicalbrit December 3, 2009 at 17:11 - Reply

Oddly enough I still own 2 PS2s, because I bought an NTSC version when I moved from England to the USA in 2005. Who else f*cking hates regioning of electronics?

25. MPR11 December 3, 2009 at 16:36 - Reply

Oh wow 15 yrs? I still remember getting My PS2 and 8 years later it still works but now I’m hopeing for my PS3 to last that long!

26. moethirteen December 3, 2009 at 16:14 - Reply

The first time I powered up my PS1 and heard the start up sound all my hair stood on end, it still happens from time to time.

27. vietdzine December 3, 2009 at 15:26 - Reply

Ah, man.
    This brings back so many memories.
    I loved playing the PsX when it first came out.
    So many great memories of being happy as a kid…

28. Mr.M13D December 3, 2009 at 14:51 - Reply

I still think that the best console of all time is still the PS2. happy 15th to playstation.

29. xDSJxPyro December 3, 2009 at 14:33 - Reply

Oh how I loved the day we first got a Playstation. Crash Bandicoot, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Syro. So many great games, and so many great memories.

30. richeezy December 3, 2009 at 13:23 - Reply

Oh wow, I remember watching my cousins replaying Metal Gear Solid just to get the different endings. Such great wonderful memories. :)

31. Rocker2791 December 3, 2009 at 13:05 - Reply

Seems like just yesterday I was at my aunt’s house playing Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater on the PS1

32. FreedomPhantom December 3, 2009 at 12:39 - Reply

FF7 , Tomb Raider , Syphon Filter damn
    Those were good times with playstation been with it since the beginning may it live long and prosperous

Happy Birthday Playstation

33. Omnislasher December 3, 2009 at 12:17 - Reply

15 years today? Wow, time sure does fly by.

I remember my first PlayStation game was Crash Bandicoot. It was full of ragequit, but fun at the same time.

A lot of great games have been released on the PlayStation over the years. Like the Metal Gear Solid series, Devil May Cry series, Tekken series to name a few. And the other thousands of other titles.

When I think of PlayStation I think of a great console with awesome games.

34. Richard Reyes December 3, 2009 at 11:27 - Reply

Playstation always has been awesome :p.

35. trevdogg0920 December 3, 2009 at 11:20 - Reply

aah…such good times :-) i fondly remember playing FFVII/VIII. these are good times that shall not be forgotten :-P

36. The Xcentrik December 3, 2009 at 09:57 - Reply

How can you forget pandemonium? Lol.

Playstation was bought for me as an xmas present with resident evil one, i was a bit sneaky and managed to unwrap it before xmas, play it a few times while parents were out and wrap it up again….

Lets just say its the best present i have ever got in my life!

37. turinx December 3, 2009 at 09:57 - Reply

I remember being blown away by sheer power of the Playstation. The difference between it and previous disc based systems pretty impressive. I also remember the $300 US price tag, which at that time was easily the most I ever had to spend for a video game system, nowadays it’s the norm. Happy Birthyday to the PSX, and thanks for the innovations that it introduced that have brought us to where we are now in gaming.