Police Use Xbox Live To Catch Thief

22 year old Jeremiah Gilliam of the Bronx has been busted for close to 200 car larcenies and a few burglaries.  With the bust came a whole boat load of stolen property.  “We recovered so much, I just didn’t know where to start,” said Rick Deer, a Pelham Police Detective.

GPSs, laptops, cell phones, etc, were all recovered, but it was an Xbox 360 that aided police in the bust.  Back on November 11th, Gilliam stole an Xbox 360, decided to hook it up to the internet, and play on Xbox live.  I’m going to guess he stole it to play Modern Warfare 2, which came out a day before the theft of the Xbox.

This ended up leading police right to Mr Gilliam.  With the help of Microsoft and Gilliam’s Internet provider, Police were able to obtain a warrant and search Gilliam’s residence.  As stated, Police found a bunch of stolen property in the room Gilliam’s had in the apartment he shares with his mother.

Police said that Gilliam was charged with felony grand larceny in the theft of a credit card.  Gilliam was already on parole and had himself a prior record of drug arrests and convictions.  I think it’s safe to say that Jeremiah Gilliam will be switching to PS3 after this.

Pelham police follow Xbox trail to suspect, find loot from 200 thefts
[LoHud News]

50 Comments on "Police Use Xbox Live To Catch Thief"

1. LastRide December 29, 2009 at 08:05 - Reply

yep id be playing the ps3 for a while to lol

2. Ninj4_KO December 29, 2009 at 04:57 - Reply

“I think it’s safe to say that Jeremiah Gilliam will be switching to PS3 after this.” Wow that made me ROBL… yes bed. xD Kreyg I really do compliment on your entertaining articles. Thanks

3. ss2prez December 28, 2009 at 20:10 - Reply

thats sum crazy stuff

4. The_Joker December 25, 2009 at 23:24 - Reply

Wow, the police can trace you through you consoles now.

That’s crazy, but i guess that guy had it coming to him.

5. Battlegood December 25, 2009 at 22:10 - Reply

wow i quess his mother didn’t know or she was helping him hide from the cops all that time.

6. II_this_II December 24, 2009 at 23:17 - Reply

Stupidity catches more criminals then anything else… This is a prime example!

Get owned by xbox 360. Now thats getting boned!!

7. Jobblepoodgins December 24, 2009 at 19:46 - Reply

I bet once he steals the PS3 he’ll go on Playstation Home telling everyone he’s innocent.

8. mistyrosenic December 24, 2009 at 19:30 - Reply

“the apartment he shares with his mother”

Either the mother didn’t know he was stealing or she didn’t care.

9. AxleIsBored December 24, 2009 at 17:37 - Reply

with his mother? she was ok with him stealing all this stuff…. best…mom…ever….

10. popotatocakes December 24, 2009 at 16:21 - Reply

“in the apartment he shares with his mother.”

I’m glad parents like these send great examples to children.

11. Thanatron December 24, 2009 at 15:48 - Reply

What a happy ending. When my friends 360 got jacked, I told him to report it to the police, as I had heard about stories like this in the past, but sadly they did nothing about it.

12. jason December 24, 2009 at 15:16 - Reply

I wish the cops did this when my house got broken into and my ps3 ,xbox 360, and wii got stolen. total of $4,000 was stolen.Cops did nothing. I had to go to the police station to file the report.within 2 years 90% of my neighbor’s house got broken into.

13. xDSJxPyro December 24, 2009 at 15:04 - Reply

Well it is nice to read something good about video games, no reading about someone being stabbed for playing video games. It just goes to show you how dumb some crooks can be these days. I guess they never learn.

14. Noxius December 24, 2009 at 14:53 - Reply

That’s awesome. It’s refreshing to see a news worthy story about technology, and dare I say gaming, having a positive impact for once. Of course, the flip side is all the conspiracy theorists will say how that same technology is being used to track everyone, all the time.

If there’s even a remote chance of that being true, then we need to get Bin Laden on a Xbox…

15. Jaysky0 December 24, 2009 at 14:14 - Reply

Great present to get on christmas eve.

A part of me feels sorry because he won’t be able to spend christmas with his family. However,the police did the smart thing to catch him NOW before christmas because he could have gone around and stolen christmas gifts and stolen PLENTY of things on boxing day.

16. pengy-mofoooo December 24, 2009 at 14:00 - Reply

Rick > Deer
    Dick > Reer
    i lul’d

17. tuner_racer December 24, 2009 at 13:50 - Reply

wait? why didnt they just locate the GPS by using the the gps ability… nvm

18. KR3W619 December 24, 2009 at 13:31 - Reply

BUSTED haha this guy got pwned.

19. Nuckles37 December 24, 2009 at 13:16 - Reply

If he was busted while he was playing MW2, I’m gonna be so mad.
    I hate it when people are in a game and then they just leave their controller so their guy just stands there and gets killed!!!

Also, it would have been funny if he was playing GTA.

• Nuckles37 December 24, 2009 at 13:18 - Reply

Also, other people that will soon be caught for stealing via xbox live are Bungee, EA, and Microsoft.

20. spyrorox879 December 24, 2009 at 12:39 - Reply

did they arrest his mom because if he shared the apartment with his mom and she didn’t call the police wouldn’t that make her an accomplice?

21. cynicalbrit December 24, 2009 at 12:22 - Reply

Well clearly this guy was pretty damn good at what he did as far as theft was concerned until he decided to hook the Xbox up. Seems like he stole a pretty damn decent chunk of stuff.

22. WAdeo December 24, 2009 at 12:15 - Reply

ZINGGGGGAH

23. Mortalized December 24, 2009 at 12:02 - Reply

Well serves him right the little sh*t… Moving on, It would have been a laugh if it red ring’d on the thief.

24. Nick December 24, 2009 at 11:41 - Reply

1. Nice pic kreyg =3 2. well for once microsoft made something useful to catch thieves now can they fix all the other problems ^_^ then i’ll be happy

25. Rocker2791 December 24, 2009 at 11:32 - Reply

now if only Xbox were this good at catching hackers, then we could all play in peace.

26. xReaper29 December 24, 2009 at 11:31 - Reply

Lmao now they are using the xbox. They are crazy!

27. Evilkitten23 December 24, 2009 at 10:52 - Reply

Ah ha ha.. This put a smile on my face =)

It’s funny how people think they’re anonymus on the internet in any form when they really are not.

Guess he won’t be having a very merry christmas this year, lol

28. Tovan December 24, 2009 at 10:48 - Reply

People still haven’t realized that just because you’re on the internet doesn’t mean you are anonymous?

29. Caz December 24, 2009 at 10:46 - Reply

wow xbox should be a police officer lolz

30. Froodge December 24, 2009 at 10:45 - Reply

Well it was kind of dumb for him to use the internet when he did a crime. Even if he did switch to PS3 the police would probably still track him down if he supposedly did another crime.

31. omgpop panda December 24, 2009 at 10:44 - Reply

microsoft actually did sumthing good? congrats! and this is the exact reason why i have a password. on my live account. when you try to sign in.if someone try’s to steal my 360. there screwed

32. DeadStretch December 24, 2009 at 10:44 - Reply

holy shit, and to think you said Xbox Live was only used for gaming…lol