Would You Pay $13,105 for an NES with 5 games?

When you think of buying an original Nintendo Entertainment System, I’m sure you think about spending no more than $40 to $50.  To pay any more than that seems a bit absurd.   It’s old technology that’s just not as good as it used to be.  While it might seem absurd to you, recently someone decided to pay $13,105 for an NES and five games.

Up for auction was an NES unit, controller and five games.  The games weren’t too rare, except one.  Four out of five came with the original box.  Three of which were complete(box and instructions).  Old school games that come complete in box are a collectors dream.  The five games were TMNT II: The Arcade Game, Super Mario Bros 3, Stadium Events, MLB, and of course the Mario and Duck Hunt combo cartridge.

I wonder how she'll spend it

As much as I love these games, I don’t think I’d dish out that much cash just to own them again or own a rare one.  The woman selling this NES just got herself a nice chunk of change.  Now I wonder how long it is before everyone else starts listing their NES and rare games on eBay in hopes to make out like a bandit like this woman did.

Original Nintendo Game System Lot/Controller/5 Games [eBay]

Edit: Stadium Events is #6 of 20 rare cartridge games. That’s more than likely why this person shelled out the cash for this NES unit.

48 Comments on "Would You Pay $13,105 for an NES with 5 games?"

1. the dude June 17, 2010 at 11:47 - Reply

$13k is a lot for a guy to pay for an nes but if u think about it if this guys sells it later he would get much more money i have 2 of thease system at my house with bout 20 games

2. Rikardo February 13, 2010 at 07:30 - Reply

I think it is crazy that one could sell for so much. However, they do last longer and are alot more reliable than the finicky new, ‘high graphic’ stuff. The intial generation Coleco, SEGA and the Atari were ok, but flawed with technical problems. The Nintendo game systems from 1985 and above brought product reliability to new standards and the race was on. Its basically the same thing with the orignal PlayStations, very reliable as opposed to the new generation 2 and 3. They were at $149.00 when they first came out and last week, you could buy one on Ebay for under $20.00 and now they are all going for big bucks . Only in America. I love it

3. Anon February 12, 2010 at 22:54 - Reply

Not only is Stadium Events extremely rare, finding one with a box is ultra rare. There is said to be only one copy that is still factory sealed.

• Kreyg February 13, 2010 at 01:06 - Reply

yupp. game is super rare. I wonder if they guy who won it is going to play it or leave it on a shelf for display

4. xReaper29 February 12, 2010 at 00:53 - Reply

I think it is a little too much, until I read about Stadium Events.

5. Dingus February 12, 2010 at 00:35 - Reply

I wish I could find a copy of a rare game like Stadium Events just sitting in my basement. The only NES games I actually found probably aren’t very rare.
    Anyone wanna buy Fester’s Quest for $5,000?

• Rmak February 16, 2010 at 04:23 - Reply

@Dingus that better be an AGVN reference LMAO

• Rmak February 16, 2010 at 04:24 - Reply

AVGN

6. Gatesfan85 February 12, 2010 at 00:32 - Reply

i already have one NES with 3 of the 5 games not stadium or ninja turtles so why would i pay for one

7. mistyrosenic February 11, 2010 at 18:48 - Reply

As much as I loved playing the NES…there is no way I’m paying that much for one. Not even for a rare game.

8. MrTastyDDR February 11, 2010 at 17:09 - Reply

$13k for nes and 5 games?? that person must be off his rocker…or high lol

9. Colin February 11, 2010 at 17:04 - Reply

Stadium Events is extremely rare , especially complete in box. I guess its stupid to collect wine, or stamps, or records too. Did you really think someone just wasted 13k on something they could have gotten at a flea market for 15 bucks?

• Kreyg February 11, 2010 at 18:03 - Reply

Speaking of flea markets. Garage sales are great too. This one time my friend got something like 10 SNES games for $5 and ended up selling them all for a total of several hundred dollars.

Gotta love flea markets and garage sales

oh and btw, post edited ;-)

10. cynicalbrit February 11, 2010 at 16:29 - Reply

I hate the whole thing with collectors about being in the original packaging in pristine condition. A wise man once said, TOYS ARE MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH! This includes games. Also 13000? My god that is excessive.

11. Mathew February 11, 2010 at 16:12 - Reply

The guy that bought the NES was probably one of those crazy collectors who do and pay anything to get what he/she wants. Although, $13,000 seems a little steep for something that old, and that out-of-date.

12. Jayce D February 11, 2010 at 15:26 - Reply

her username is awesome.

(lace_thongs35)

• Cameron February 12, 2010 at 23:43 - Reply

Just don’t look at her profile pic…

(Applies eye bleach)

• Kreyg February 13, 2010 at 00:12 - Reply

yeah, I saw that…and agree completely dude

13. MrM13D February 11, 2010 at 15:16 - Reply

Oh man I need to find the power supply wire to my NES then! I need to sell that thing, I have the track pad and the zapper and about 20 games. I’m sitting on a gold mine!

14. KR3W619 February 11, 2010 at 14:20 - Reply

It went for that much because it comes with Stadium Games which is a rare game but yea i wouldn’t pay that much for it.

• KR3W619 February 11, 2010 at 14:22 - Reply

Stadium Events i mean

15. xDSJxPyro February 11, 2010 at 14:08 - Reply

Holy crap, I still have my old NES sitting around, does that mean I can sell it for 8 grand? I have like 10 games for it too. I wonder if someone still had one sealed in the box and plastic, how much that would go for. No way in hell would I pay 13,000 for a NES.

16. Froodge February 11, 2010 at 12:15 - Reply

I would of expected the highest bid to be about $60

But 13 thousand dollars is a bit insane….

17. Bedeutung February 11, 2010 at 11:34 - Reply

wow just wow talk abaut winning an auction at all costs damn

18. evilkitten23 February 11, 2010 at 10:23 - Reply

Oh my.. god… Whoever paid that much is such an idiot [or very desperate and too lazy to shop around]

I worked at a video game hock shop in Barrie ontario 2 years ago… We had a factory sealed NES for $100 [or $50 used], and each one of those games with the box and instructions are $5-$10 each… Dude.. I would have bought that for him/her and shipped it too them, lmao..

I believe this is the very definition of a “WTF moment”.. or “What were they thinking!?” as the Angry video game nerd would say.

19. Rocker2791 February 11, 2010 at 10:09 - Reply

Well, I’d say that was an overall stupid decision on her part. Then again, maybe just really really really likes NES.

• freetouch February 11, 2010 at 16:15 - Reply

Stadium Events is super SUPER rare.

Its even rarer that it comes complete. The cartridge alone can go for a few thousand dollars. While $13,000 is a huge amount, you have to realize that some games fetch $5000 – $10,000 for the cartridge alone, like the World Championship cart.

For more go to http://www.gamesniped.com/2010/02/08/complete-stadium-events-2/

• Kreyg February 11, 2010 at 17:54 - Reply

you know, I should have looked the games up. I knew there was a sports game that was super rare, I guess it slipped my mind that it was that one. Thanks man! Post edited :)