Black Creator Says Current FPSs are “Fucking Boring”

It seems that games today are taking more of a turn towards FPS than anything else. First person shooter after first person shooter is pushed to market like a bad habit. Recently, Stuart Black, the creator of a series known as Black had something to say about most of the current FPSs out there now.

There’s a lot of cover-based shooters out at the moment, but when a guy hunkers down behind something, you’ve just got to sit there and wait for him to pop his head up. Pops up, couple of bullets to his head, pops back down again.. and I’m waiting for him to pop back up again? Fucking boring. I can’t be bothered hanging around like that.

While this isn’t the case with all of the first person shooters out there, a lot do suffer from what he talks about. It seems today with the FPS genre, if you’re not helping to push the genre forward, you’re just another face in the crowd — a very big crowd. Stuart Black was recently hired by Codemasters to work on a new IP. Let’s just hope his game doesn’t suffer from what he thinks is “fucking boring.”

Do you agree with what Mr. Black has said. Do you feel that most of today’s FPSs are “fucking boring?”

Black creator: current FPSs are “f***ing boring”
[OXM via VG247]

17 Comments on "Black Creator Says Current FPSs are “Fucking Boring”"

1. bob gray February 25, 2010 at 09:23 - Reply

Yeah I found myself laughing at this for a bit. Black looked great when it was released on the previous generation of consoles but other than that it was also one of the most bland shooters released last gen as well. Nothing but flashy big explosions and bloody violence made it seem like a twelve year old kid got to make his dream game. I disagree that current first-person shooters are boring, they’ve been boring since last generation. Its just lazy developers and publishers who decide to reiterate the same ideas and concepts over and over again. Bioshock 2 and halo 3/reach are just a few examples of this. We can never hope for the fps genre to change constantly and stay fresh until we stop buying the same crap again and again. If we do then we can get brand new experiences like we did with portal/bioshock more often and not necessarily a straight up sequel to them.

2. BoricuaLegend February 25, 2010 at 00:02 - Reply

I don’t know if I can actually say FPS’s are “fucking boring” but I will say its becoming a common theme nowadays. I mean Medal of Honor is coming out with a new game just so they can compete with games like Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2. It seems to me like more and more FPS’s are being produced and some suck balls IMO, I want to see more Racing games or more Fighting games. Granted there are a few IP’s like MAG trying to do something new but its still a FPS. I dunno FPS’s are one of my favorite genre’s but I personally would like to see more games being developed for like Fighting games or Racing games. I know I want a MMO Fighting/Racing game lol. I want to see a different Genre of video games take the market besides a FPS.

Random thoughts lol

3. Rocker2791 February 24, 2010 at 21:19 - Reply

Yea, cover based games get really boring for me, I prefer open world games.

4. Radar38 February 24, 2010 at 21:08 - Reply

I would rather see strategy games out on the market more. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good FPS, but most are just like the rest and get boring after a while. Strategy games just give me more fun, personally.

5. turinx February 24, 2010 at 21:07 - Reply

If memory serves me right, Black wasn’t all that great of a game itself and was a pretty typical FPS. It had some decent twists, semi-destructible environments and over the top explosions seem to come to mind, but other than that…it’s not like Stuart Black was producing anything ground breaking or innovative himself.

That being said…there are things to love and hate from all of the current FPS, 3rd person shooter, 69 person orgy shooter…whatever. But you can’t deny that current hit games like MW2, Gears series, KZ2, MAG, etc., aren’t all trying to innovate in some way.

I don’t know if I’d call them boring. Slightly repetitive to some degree? Yes. But I don’t know about boring.

6. AjBlue February 24, 2010 at 20:39 - Reply

well people dont know how to fucking play if their hiding fucking go and kill their ass, atleast throw a grenade

7. dragonquestking February 24, 2010 at 20:37 - Reply

Doesnt game developers remeber the days of old of like turok and perfect dark and golden eye. where games didnt need cover. just bullets and big guns.

8. popotatocakes February 24, 2010 at 20:12 - Reply

Obviously this man has not played Borderlands

9. GoldMatenes February 24, 2010 at 20:10 - Reply

The world needs less Gears of Army of Uncharted 2 and more Serious Sam.

Creative weapons, creative enemies, creative environments.

Not just WWII again, or WWII in space.

10. Tovan February 24, 2010 at 20:02 - Reply

Sounds like Mr. Black enjoys games like Serious Sam, no reloading on guns, with emphasis on running as fast as you can and shooting down anything before it can catch up to you. Less hiding behind cover and waiting, more running for your life.

11. KR3W619 February 24, 2010 at 12:58 - Reply

There aren’t many FPS that have a cover system,the only one i can think of is Rainbow Six Vegas

• DannyJ February 24, 2010 at 13:57 - Reply

I think he doesnt necessarily mean pure MP gameplay. I know I felt the same about MW2 during Single Player. There were some parts where there’d be one guy left and I kept shooting him whenever he popped out of cover and it’d take like 5 minutes to kill him because I couldnt shoot through it and I’d have to wait for him to stand up. It was also an issue in Uncharted 2.

12. console_gamer February 24, 2010 at 12:18 - Reply

I completely agree. That is why I have never owned either gears of war or play the multiplayer for uncharted 2.

PS I have to point out that most cover based shooters are 3rd Person Shooters not 1st. sorry for being “That Guy”