Rare Factory Sealed NES Game Sells for $41,300

One of the rarest NES games known to man has just sold for an astronomical amount on eBay. Stadium Events is rated number six on a list of 20 of the rarest NES games. What made this one sell for as high as it did was it’s rare condition. It not only came with box and instructions, but it was factory sealed — original price tag and all.

The game’s auction ended at a staggering price tag of $41,300. It has helped one person’s NES collection inch that much closer towards completion, but at a significant price. $41,300 is a lot of money no matter how you slice it. This is the most anyone has ever paid for an NES game. Before today, the most anyone had paid for a single NES game was $20,000 — that man was JJ Hendricks.

JJ Hendricks, the owner of JJGames, is no stranger to paying a high price for something rare on the NES. Back in October, JJ purchased the Nintendo Campus Challenge cartridge off eBay for $20,000. It’s the only cartridge of it’s kind still in existence — the rest were destroyed. Until now, JJ held the record on what was the most expensive NES game sold. He has even authored a piece about the most expensive NES games ever sold. You could say he knows a thing or two about this kind of stuff.

When we asked JJ if he felt this copy of Stadium Events in this rare form had an appropriate price tag, he said, “The rarity of an item doesn’t determine the price though, the demand plays a big role too and Stadium Events is better known and has a ton of publicity going into the auction” He is right about that. Two weeks ago an unsuspecting mother made $13,105 for selling her NES with 5 games — one was Stadium Events. Going into this auction everyone knew how rare of an item this one was.

While JJ might not hold the record anymore, one hardcore collector now does — at the cost of $41,300.

FACTORY SEALED NEW NES NINTENDO STADIUM EVENTS NTSC [eBay Thanks, Robert A]

22 Comments on "Rare Factory Sealed NES Game Sells for $41,300"

1. Luigi353 March 1, 2010 at 21:29 - Reply

wow i sure wouldn’t have paid that much.

2. Boobman March 1, 2010 at 20:02 - Reply

That guy is Hardcore, he is the core to the rock. 41,300$ can get him a spot in the crew!

3. Guest March 1, 2010 at 07:53 - Reply

Damn I wish I could have the money to buy the game.

Anyway, there’s a typo, it’s PAID not PAYED.

4. MrTastyDDR February 27, 2010 at 14:29 - Reply

damn, i remember playing stadium events…wore me out, but $41 grand for a #6 rare NES, damn the #1 rare might cost a mil or less…

5. Noxius February 27, 2010 at 05:49 - Reply

It’s really no different than someone paying $40k for a piece of art, a really old bottle of wine, or a rhinestone studded shirt worn by Neil Diamond in concert. Someone might say it’s worth X amount of dollars, but once you get beyond the price of raw materials, everything else is subject to opinion: What it’s worth to you.

I’m simply saying that while I scoff at the idea of shelling out $41k for a NES game, for others, it is perfectly reasonable. Well, for at least one other it’s reasonable, but the point is that it’s all a matter of opinion… And you know what they say about opinions.

6. xDSJxPyro February 27, 2010 at 04:50 - Reply

Dammit, why did I open all the NES games I got, oh yea. I wanted to PLAY THEM. I just don’t get people, like did they mean to not open the game, just to see if it would be worth money some day? I know I have some unopened hockey cards from like 1995, maybe in 2025 I can sell them for 20,000.

7. Rocker2791 February 27, 2010 at 04:00 - Reply

*facepalm* Why the hell did my mom have to give all of our NES stuff away to the Good Will all those years ago. lol

8. Agent75 February 27, 2010 at 02:08 - Reply

I see quite a lot of sealed games on eBay, but sometimes you find that they’re been resealed. I’m not an expert on NES games, but if that’s the actually photo of the game that was sold, it doesn’t look Nintendo factory sealed to me.

• Kreyg February 28, 2010 at 07:47 - Reply

I thought the same thing to be honest. It looks like it might have been rewrapped maybe at the store it was bought from. The person returned it because they didnt have a powerpad — these people buy it.

You know the rest — then again who really knows.

9. BiroZombie February 27, 2010 at 01:16 - Reply

That’s just too much.

10. cynicalbrit February 27, 2010 at 00:32 - Reply

I don’t get the whole crap that collectors and people who value things have about the original packaging. They will collect things that are meant to be played with, with no intention of selling them, and they will just leave them in their packages. Way to make an assload of money, to all the people who sell these things.

11. moethirteen February 27, 2010 at 00:28 - Reply

That is some crazy money changing hands and I love that its for NES games.

12. Blue Wolf X53 February 27, 2010 at 00:20 - Reply

ahh Stadium Events. I actually saw this game at a museum once, bit that was a long time ago. But in any case, $41,300 seen like a lot of money for any one game but for one person in the future to say “I have every NES game in existence” is a very good goal to have.

13. darkness2386 February 27, 2010 at 00:14 - Reply

Never in my life will I spend that much on a game no matter how rare it is.

14. Mathew February 27, 2010 at 00:14 - Reply

Wow, that’s crazy. And, again, I will say that paying that much for a single game is WAY too much. I understand it’s rare, but really? But, I’m sure this guy has his reasons as to why he paid so much for this game. Good money budgeting, eh?

15. MPR11 February 27, 2010 at 00:13 - Reply

HOLY CRAP do we know who bought that game? I bet it was Bill Gates. I always knew he loved Nintendo

• Mathew February 27, 2010 at 00:19 - Reply

Everyone knows Bill Gates loves Apple, jeez…

16. whoshotjfk February 27, 2010 at 00:12 - Reply

holy shit, thats it, just holy shit