Gaming Equals Doing A Line Of Coke

Gaming=Coke

A UK therapist has made a pretty bold statement by saying two hours of gaming equals doing a line of coke. Steve Pope, a senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Central Lancashire, has made the the conclusion that gaming is becoming a drug for youths, and is growing at an alarming rate.

Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces. It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally, as well as leading to physical problems such as obesity.

Now don’t get him wrong, video games can become a problem for kids, but is it as bad as hard drugs like cocaine? He is not saying games are the new devil and that they should be gotten rid of — but they need to be moderated, like everything else in today’s world. People need to take breaks, step away from the TV and do some other activities.

That being said, I think he could have compared it to something else besides cocaine — I don’t see video games being anywhere as bad as that. Yes, people have gotten killed over video games, but I think the number of crimes from drugs out weighs games by a large margin.

UK Therapist: Two Hours of Gaming is Equivalent to a Line of Cocaine [1UP]

Author: Tyler View all posts by
I am Tyler, contributor for Hot Blooded Gaming. Check out my Staff Profile. If you have any questions feel free to email me at Tyler@HotBloodedGaming.com

21 Comments on "Gaming Equals Doing A Line Of Coke"

1. Chimmy9119 May 28, 2010 at 00:50 - Reply

If gaming made me high I would do it more often. Instead I do other things…like getting high.
    jk

2. JesusHMacy May 26, 2010 at 22:48 - Reply

Man i love coke… I mean gaming.

3. II_this_II May 26, 2010 at 21:36 - Reply

Obesity? -.- I’m over weight but im not obese. The reason im over weight is because when i get board i snack and i eat too much when i make dinner. Not from playing games. Lets face it, most teenagers today dont go and hangout by ‘exercising’ together. They chill, go see movies and play games…

• Kreyg D May 26, 2010 at 22:12 - Reply

Well, I think more now than ever people are taking Physical Fitness a little more serious than they did about 10-20 years ago.

Although, people love to eat and when food is so easily accessible in the US like it is, we will eat!

People just love to use video games as a scape goat

4. FFRyan May 25, 2010 at 21:08 - Reply

I can see where he’s going at there but the extent of it I think is a more than it should be.

5. SourSight May 25, 2010 at 21:06 - Reply

“videog ames”
    oh em gee grammar error

6. Shadx May 25, 2010 at 20:58 - Reply

Yeah, because if I play games for 2 hours, I’ll become totally addicted, ruin my life, abandon everyone I know for it and spend every penny of my money on gaming ……… er, wait …….

7. KR3W619 May 25, 2010 at 19:26 - Reply

That could be said about anything, like movies, watching tv, playing sports, reading, even frieking jerking off.

• Kreyg May 25, 2010 at 19:34 - Reply

yeah, jacking off can definitely be habit forming

8. DaN iZ HyPeD May 25, 2010 at 18:15 - Reply

Wow, this in terms, makes me embarrased to be part of his country. Its over eccentric people like him who blow things way out of proportion and bring shame to an already semi-deotiriated country. Shame on you.

9. techi May 25, 2010 at 17:29 - Reply

Wow, I must be a big coke head then. I spend waaayyyyy more than 2 hours gaming a week.

10. turinx May 25, 2010 at 16:52 - Reply

Then I guess that makes me a coke-head, being that I probably average 2 hours a day on video games…more on the weekends.

11. cynicalbrit May 25, 2010 at 16:12 - Reply

The chemical process that occurs when you take cocaine can kill you and has many long term negative effects.
    The processes of gaming that cause long term damage are due to the player not stopping to eat or exercise.
    The difference is staggering.

12. dragonquestking May 25, 2010 at 14:53 - Reply

ok i looked thru that british article and its a loada bull. Lets see alot of gamers stay with there family and support there family they dont beat there childeren and they dont get in trouble with the cops. While lets look at Sports players cheaters drug addicts child beaters. Screw a football my kid is gonna be picking up a controler and playing mario.

13. moethirteen May 25, 2010 at 12:15 - Reply

I love this story because it’s ridiculous stuff like this that makes people think that video game opponents are full of s**t.

14. dragonquestking May 25, 2010 at 11:46 - Reply

I think soccer is more deadly in the uk than video games.

15. goregrinder May 25, 2010 at 11:21 - Reply

Video games will always be the devil. It’s such a good scapegoat to point the finger at whenever someone acts out in violence.

• Kreyg May 25, 2010 at 11:37 - Reply

[img]http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/waterboymother.jpg[/img]

16. Fumbles Mcgee May 25, 2010 at 09:49 - Reply

I can see it already, a shady looking guy standing on a street corner and some kids walk by him, “Yo kids you want some video games? I got good stuff, premium quality straight from Rockstar.”

• Kreyg May 25, 2010 at 09:55 - Reply

and theres a whole video game cartel backing the operation

17. Kreyg May 25, 2010 at 09:11 - Reply

First off, Love the picture lol

Now, what is this guy talking about? I don’t think I get a “high” off video games after 2 hours. I play mon-fri on the broadcast and then Im usually done playing after that. I dont see it as an addiction and I certainly do moderate what I buy and play and how long I play for.

I do agree that it can become habit forming, which I guess he’s trying to relate the addiction, but come on, Cocaine? The days of Refer Madness are long gone and people need to stop using drug propaganda to scare people. It’s funny he came out and said this considering RDR just sold a shit load over in the UK.

Video games — when will people just leave them alone