Bad Parenting Leads To 15 Hour A Day Gaming Habit For Teen

Seventeen year old Zach Richardson is “suffering” from what some might call a “video game addiction.” The teen’s life is consumed day in and day out by video games like Call of Duty, FIFA, and Football Manager. He plays for close to 15 hours a day, seven days a week. The habit has become so bad that he’ll skip meals, ditch friends, and won’t even clean himself.

The “addiction” began a little over a year ago when Richardson left school. He turned to video games as a means to occupy his time while he looked for some form of employment. It started slow for the teen, but it gradually snowballed into what it is today.

It started off slowly. I only spent two or three hours a day playing. It was just for a bit of fun. Now it has got out of control and I know I have an addiction but I cannot help it.

While it’s a good sign that he knows he needs help, his video game habits are not without consequence. Richardson’s school friends have begun to ignore him and his girlfriend has threatened to call it quits unless he stops. On top of that, the 17 year old is skipping meals so he can keep playing. It has lead to headaches and blackouts for the teen. His doctors state the obvious by saying that it’s damaging his health — that’s why we pay them the big bucks!

The most disturbing part about all this? It probably could have been avoided or at least stopped early on. The boys mother has straight up said she doesn’t want to take away his things and that she can’t stop him from playing.

There is nothing that I can do to stop him playing. Doctors have warned him of the health risks but playing video games is the only thing that makes him happy. I do not want to upset him by taking his consoles away.

Is it me, or does this seem like the real source of the problem? It’s not video games, it’s not a lack of employment, or a lack of a social life — but bad parenting that has caused this. Parents shouldn’t be afraid to say no to their kids or take away things from their children when it becomes a problem. What happened to the good old days of grounding your child and taking away their things?

Parents need to always remember that they are in charge — not their children. When parents start to let their kids run the show, that’s when things become a problem. As is the case with 17 year old Zach Richardson and his “video game addiction.”

Boy’s daily 15-hour Xbox Habit [The Sun]

12 Comments on "Bad Parenting Leads To 15 Hour A Day Gaming Habit For Teen"

1. quadryder437 September 10, 2010 at 22:34 - Reply

hey heres the screenshot i just took i think your computer is user friendly mine says You not fu lol
    [IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/34eqhb7.jpg[/IMG]

2. fenderjazz1440 August 31, 2010 at 05:01 - Reply

well this story is some what like me but i don’t play video games 15 hours a day during the summer it’s more like i play my bass guitar 15 hours a day. so for me it’s like videos games: 2-3 hours
    computer: all the time for music purposes and to watch kreyg cast
    playing along with the music i listen to: about as much as i can.

3. Zackfan August 30, 2010 at 21:24 - Reply

I sort of have this problem except id do hang out with my friends every once in a while and well i eat but more than i should but recently all my games have started to bore me more than i thought they ever would and because of this i have been getting out a lot more :) i hope the good part of what i just typed happens to him and by that i mean i hope he gets bored of his games

4. Inorka August 28, 2010 at 15:23 - Reply

This is actually pretty sad. I see kids now-a-days spending hours upon hours in front of the computer or console. Get outside for god sakes! I’m looking at statistics and they’re saying that todays generation of kids are growing more and more stupid because they stay indoors playing these machines. As far addictions go, it’s real. Some people are just so involved in the game they’re willing to skip meals, sleep and even sex. “Fake and gay” right?

Myself as a kid got outside and played with friends as often as I could. Even today I found an alternative solution to online gaming. Disc Golf, which is a rapid growing sport these days. Granted I still play on occasion, but I find hanging with friends is more important and fun.

5. Arinaz August 28, 2010 at 05:44 - Reply

Lol I would support this kid if he ate his meals right

6. Master Tweak August 28, 2010 at 05:10 - Reply

Hey BS do not knock on games as a drug, Games help people get through the day and prevent them from murdering the people around them because you guys just dont get it doesnt make it a bad habit

7. tuner_racer August 27, 2010 at 15:58 - Reply

smash his shit then problem solved

• astonman247 September 12, 2010 at 15:07 - Reply

Agreed i mean just toss his games in a paper shredder and put his xbox throw the wash and give it back to him and say here want to play video games now

8. II_this_II August 27, 2010 at 13:59 - Reply

Lol sounds like me right now.
    I dont ditch my friends or anything like that but most people i know have gone to out of state collage so my social life has shrunk now that summer is over.
    So for now its video games and job apps lol

9. Gixer August 27, 2010 at 12:48 - Reply

If the parents aren’t doing anything, the 17 year old “kid” needs to take the initiative himself and either throw out his games or sell them.

“I know I have an addiction but I cannot help it.”

What!? Just break your shit so you can’t use it.

10. xDSJxPyro August 27, 2010 at 10:38 - Reply

I would agree, I mean the parents could stop all this if they really wanted too, but since it seems they don’t care. He play 15 hours a day, that is just INSANE!

11. MrTastyDDR August 27, 2010 at 07:08 - Reply

i think they should take him to therapy, bad parenting is bad D:<