Sony Confirms PSN Pass For Select Games

It was going around the internet the other day when someone spotted something peculiar on the Resistance 3 packaging. It was a little emblem that showed something called a PSN Pass, which was speculated to be just like what third party developers have been doing for the last year. Making used game owners pay 10 bucks to play online.

Well Sony has come out today and confirmed that yes they are in fact making a PSN Pass which will be used on “select games” which will require users to either buy the game new, or pay 10 bucks to play the game online if you rent, borrow, or buy the game used, which kind of sucks if you ask me.

“We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities. This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title. This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio.”

While third party publishers have been doing this for some time, mainly EA, THQ and Warner Bros. this marks the first time a major first party company is instituting something like this. Which will probably catch on with others and this will become a norm for games in the future which really sucks. Why should gamers have to pay 10 bucks just to gain access to a part of the game?

Author: Tyler View all posts by
I am Tyler, contributor for Hot Blooded Gaming. Check out my Staff Profile. If you have any questions feel free to email me at Tyler@HotBloodedGaming.com

21 Comments | Open Mic -- Say What You Feel

Rules: have fun, be funny, be a wise ass, don't troll, no threatening others, no racism, be respectful of others and their opinions, and no flame wars. Have fun and make friends as you talk about the topic at hand.

1. By A_Joe_Ke on 07-06-2011 15:02

You gotta be kidding me.

2. By Tojimaru on 07-06-2011 15:04

I don't like this. The use of codes always seemed buggy for me. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. There will definitely be a bunch of problems with the PSN Pass. I get that they are making it so that people who buy games used will have to support the devs by buying the pass, but this seems unnecessary.

3. By BigFish1812 on 07-06-2011 15:07

Fuck you Sony, after the whole PSN network outage, you come out with this.

4. By xalnion on 07-06-2011 15:09

Man that sucks luckly i ussally dont buy games use unless i really want them and if i do i probally bought it to play offline

5. By M4TH3W on 07-06-2011 15:12

I hate online passes, but I have to say I hate them even more in this situation. Why do this after an outage? I don't know how they could see this as being something that will help bring back the people that ditched Sony during the outage...

6. By Tovan on 07-06-2011 15:13

7. By TheBigIsh on 07-06-2011 15:16

They need to profit off of used games, but i hate this way, but ya know shit happens and they gotta do what they gotta do.

8. By T o n y on 07-06-2011 15:26

I get the logic behind it from a business standpoint, but it's kind of a troll move. This only means we would have to look into what we think is worth our money a little more, which is what people who are on a budget, such as myself, do already.

Anyway, at least they wouldn't charge for single player, that's really the only thing that would be worthy of grief.

9. By ZangeTSM on 07-06-2011 15:36

Things like this make me want a gaming PC more and more

10. By Cynicalbrit on 07-06-2011 15:38

This would be acceptable if all of these games had good, bulky single-player campaigns. Resistance 3 probably will. Others may not.

11. By Trickboss on 07-06-2011 16:41

I don't care that much, renting games is illegal where I live and I rarely buy used games.

12. By xBrainHarvester on 07-06-2011 16:47

Special online passes suck, especially in this situation. I dont really use my ps3 anyways so it wont really affect me too harshly

13. By Protogonos on 07-06-2011 16:50

Smooth, Sony. Make everyone even more pissed at you.

14. By outroxx on 07-06-2011 17:44

Originally Posted by Tovan:
    Quote Eh, I understand the whole 'pass' system. The reality is that companies need to profit from used game sales in some form, and this is the lesser of evils that can accomplish that.

I agree at 100%. Buying pre-owned just gives money to gamestop, best buy, etc. It's to the devs that we should be giving money, they are the ones doing the hard work!

15. By BabyBoy2009 on 07-06-2011 18:02

Next we'll be paying to watch a game trailer too.

16. By Gunner164 on 07-06-2011 18:06

fuck you sony fuck you!!!

17. By blacksmith21 on 07-06-2011 18:52

Well to say i was surprised? Not really... but a real big dick move on sony's part.. right after throwing away your information like lasts night garbage.. They now are trying to get their own cut out of this used game market, rather than letting the developers who work their ass offs to make the game make the decision to add a fee to it.... #smh

18. By junxtown on 07-06-2011 18:55

well.... there goes free online from sony

19. By UFC345 on 07-06-2011 20:52

do they just want people to hate them now

20. By baznov on 07-07-2011 00:49

I hate companys that do this, fair enough if they were struggling against used game sales but they're not. it's just unneeded.