The Most Pirated PC Games Of 2011 Were…

pirates

Piracy is still a pretty big issue for the PC games industry. Some companies have taken the approach of DRM, while others will make you suffer throughout the entire game experience. However, this sort of thing won’t stop pirates from playing the games they want to play — oh no. They will still pirate away.

2011 was a year filled with great titles. Sadly, the PC community felt it better to pirate some of the best games of the year rather than support the industry. Without further interruption, here were the top 5 pirated PC games of 2011 (due note that these are estimates)

Crysis 2 – 3,920,000
Modern Warfare 3 – 3,650,000
Battlefield 3 – 3,510,000
FIFA 12 – 3,390,000
Portal 2 – 3,240,000

I won’t lie, it bothers me to see that Portal 2 was pirated 3.2 million times. There were several times where Valve put the game on sale for next to nothing, and hell — a few weeks after release they dropped the price to $29.99. It was worth every penny of it, too! Crysis 2 was leaked well before release, so that might have had a hand in it being the number one game on the list.

As far as the rest of the games on that list go, I’m not surprised — except with FIFA. Who knew software pirates had a hard-on for soccer? I could sit here and lecture everyone all day and say “support the industry,” but at the end of the day, pirates will be pirates. Good looks to everyone who PAID for games in 2011, and to those who pirated — you’re all a bunch of dicks.

Top 10 Most Pirated Games of 2011 [Torrent Freak]

Author: Kreyg View all posts by
I am Kreyg, the Founder and Editor-In-Chief of Hot Blooded Gaming. Check out my Staff Profile. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at Kreyg@HotBloodedGaming.com

18 Comments | Open Mic -- Say What You Feel

Rules: have fun, be funny, be a wise ass, don't troll, no threatening others, no racism, be respectful of others and their opinions, and no flame wars. Have fun and make friends as you talk about the topic at hand.


Leave a Comment

  1. By Davekraft on 01-02-2012 16:52

    Crysis surprised me and even BF3, FIFA 12 and MW3 didn't though.

    Reply

  2. By DanGlozier on 01-02-2012 16:55

    Crysis and Portal is surprising and a little worrying, can't say I'm too surprised about the other 3 though.

    Reply

  3. By UFC345 on 01-02-2012 17:26

    Fifa just reeks of doucebags that steal

    Reply

  4. By DanGlozier on 01-02-2012 17:26

    Originally Posted by UFC345:
    Quote Fifa just reeks of doucebags that steal

    Couldn't agree more

    Reply

  5. By JustAndrew on 01-02-2012 17:42

    Piracy still isn't as big of a problem as people make it out to be. And also quite tired of it ALWAYS being thrown onto the PC. Consoles have a good number of pirates as well.

    And anyway, PC gaming still generates massive amounts of money. I mean the talk of 2010 was how PC gaming made around 18 billion dollars. There is no crisis here. There's overreaction and idiot companies like Ubisoft saying shit like, "Oh well we're cancelling this game because 95 % of the community will pirate it." Fuck those people, and fuck the ones who make a 4 hour game, put crappy DRM on it, and slap a $60 price tag on it.

    I can't really explain as well as others.

    http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/0...d-game-of-2011

    Just read a lot of the comments in that article.

    Note: Not trying to sound like a dick. But I just get tired of so much blame and hate going towards the PC community. And I also direct everyone to what Gabe Newell said. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ervice-Problem

    Reply

  6. By Vaskar on 01-02-2012 18:34

    Originally Posted by JustAndrew:
    Quote Piracy still isn't as big of a problem as people make it out to be. And also quite tired of it ALWAYS being thrown onto the PC. Consoles have a good number of pirates as well.

    And anyway, PC gaming still generates massive amounts of money. I mean the talk of 2010 was how PC gaming made around 18 billion dollars. There is no crisis here. There's overreaction and idiot companies like Ubisoft saying shit like, "Oh well we're cancelling this game because 95 % of the community will pirate it." Fuck those people, and fuck the ones who make a 4 hour game, put crappy DRM on it, and slap a $60 price tag on it.

    I can't really explain as well as others.

    http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/0...d-game-of-2011

    Just read a lot of the comments in that article.

    Note: Not trying to sound like a dick. But I just get tired of so much blame and hate going towards the PC community. And I also direct everyone to what Gabe Newell said. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ervice-Problem

    Still doesnt make it right. The target is pointed at PC games because even the highest pirated game is 1/3 of the PC, so thats where the finger is pointed.

    The hate for PC gaming comes from those dickheads who everytime you talk about a game say some shit like "Dur hurhurhur you had to get your game on Xbox! Dur hurhur mouse and keyboard is SO much better! Look at me im better then you at video games dur dur dur dur"

    Reply

  7. By MrM13D on 01-02-2012 18:35

    I guess Skyrim isn't on there because it hasn't been out for too long. I actually can believe about everything else but portal.

    Reply

  8. By JustAndrew on 01-02-2012 18:47

    Originally Posted by Vaskar:
    Quote Still doesnt make it right. The target is pointed at PC games because even the highest pirated game is 1/3 of the PC, so thats where the finger is pointed.

    The hate for PC gaming comes from those dickheads who everytime you talk about a game say some shit like "Dur hurhurhur you had to get your game on Xbox! Dur hurhur mouse and keyboard is SO much better! Look at me im better then you at video games dur dur dur dur"

    If a company is going to screw the paying customers, and overcharge for a 3-4 hour story, I don't care if people pirate the game. They don't deserve the money for giving someone 3-4 hours of entertainment for 60 bucks, on top of throwing in intrusive DRM, or any other game breaking protection. All it does is hurt the paying customers. Piracy is pretty much always going to be around. And it's getting higher and higher on consoles too. So I guess it's time to start fucking them over as well. It's only fair.

    As for the PC elitists, that goes both ways. Plenty of console elitists out there as well.

    Reply

  9. By BigFish1812 on 01-02-2012 18:48

    I believe all of those except for Portal, no clue why anyone would pirate it, when everyone knows Valve will drop the price and put it on sale 3 weeks after.

    Reply

  10. By Emir360 on 01-02-2012 18:51

    DAMN!!!! Pirated in the millions :O That's crazy!

    Reply

  11. By jim94 on 01-02-2012 19:19

    So many pirates...Millions of dollars lost, amazing...

    Reply

  12. By Vaskar on 01-02-2012 19:29

    Originally Posted by JustAndrew:
    Quote If a company is going to screw the paying customers, and overcharge for a 3-4 hour story, I don't care if people pirate the game. They don't deserve the money for giving someone 3-4 hours of entertainment for 60 bucks, on top of throwing in intrusive DRM, or any other game breaking protection. All it does is hurt the paying customers. Piracy is pretty much always going to be around. And it's getting higher and higher on consoles too. So I guess it's time to start fucking them over as well. It's only fair.

    As for the PC elitists, that goes both ways. Plenty of console elitists out there as well.

    Then dont play it or wait for a price drop. I love Rayman it was the 1st non educational game my mom would let me get so i really want rayman origins but its not a 60$ game so im going to wait for it to be cheep. Whos to say what they "deserve" if that someone's HAS to have it right now then let them be stupid and spend that 60$ broken game. Not my problem if they dont want to spend the time and look at what they're buying.

    I know its always going to be around, just like the stupid ways to stop it will be but its still wrong. There is no justification for it. I'm not the one making that call for DRM so if they feel thats what they need to do then im sure they will and when they do if it makes a problem for me then i wont spend my money.

    Reply

  13. By JustAndrew on 01-02-2012 19:34

    Originally Posted by Vaskar:
    Quote Then dont play it or wait for a price drop. I love Rayman it was the 1st non educational game my mom would let me get so i really want rayman origins but its not a 60$ game so im going to wait for it to be cheep. Whos to say what they "deserve" if that someone's HAS to have it right now then let them be stupid and spend that 60$ broken game. Not my problem if they dont want to spend the time and look at what they're buying.

    I know its always going to be around, just like the stupid ways to stop it will be but its still wrong. There is no justification for it. I'm not the one making that call for DRM so if they feel thats what they need to do then im sure they will and when they do if it makes a problem for me then i wont spend my money.

    It's just how a lot of people are fighting back. The companies keep screwing people over, so the customer starts to fight back. Activision is a gigantic PC community enemy after the crap they've pulled, so naturally, people pirate instead of purchase their game. EA angered a lot of people with Origin, and also removing some other games from Steam, all so they could make a few extra bucks, as if they were hurting for money, which they weren't. So again, people went to piracy. The list goes on and on. Now Portal being pirated, that's different. But funny thing, it still sold the most on PC. It outsold PS3 and 360, last I heard. Even MW3 sold about 1 million on PC, despite them being hated.

    I'm not saying piracy is right, or that everyone should do it. But I do believe it would get less and less if companies would stop trying to shove sticks up the consumers' ass. Treat the people right. after all, it's the consumer who got these people rich in the first place. They need to listen to their communities, and show they actually care about them.

    Reply

  14. By Christian M. on 01-02-2012 20:25

    The only one that saddens me is Portal 2. I really don't care about the others, especially MW3.

    Reply

  15. By MrPixel on 01-02-2012 21:35

    That's cruel for that to happen to portal 2 especially.

    Reply

  16. By Z.Witt on 01-02-2012 22:43

    Wasn't Portal 1 one of the top pirated video games when it was released, as well?

    Reply

  17. By junxtown on 01-03-2012 01:36

    ugh.... who wants to play FIFA? that game is sooo boring :D

    Reply

  18. By iluffsasuke on 01-03-2012 15:11

    Poor Potal 2 such a great game :(

    Reply