Skype Coming to the Next Xbox?

Microsoft will reportedly replace it’s voice chat feature with Skype in the next Xbox console.

A person familiar with the matter said Microsoft will be “consolidating all their communications technology” around the Skype platform. This means that Skype will become the default chat service on the next generation Xbox console as well as on PC and tablets, the person said.

He added: “You might jump to the conclusion that we’ll see asynchronous voice and video messages in next-gen Xbox Live”.

Microsoft’s $8.5 billion acquisition of Skype in 2011 was marked as the software giant’s largest ever acquisition in its forty year history. The corporation has since opened its own Skype division within Microsoft, headed up by Skype’s former Chief executive Tony Bates.

In November, Microsoft announced it was preparing to close its instant message chat service MSN and replace it with Skype’s messaging tool.

A recent job advertisement revealed Microsoft was seeking a user interface designer for the “next gen Xbox”. The job location was said to be at Microsoft’s UK-based Skype offices.

“The team you’ll join is responsible for Skype in the living room (broadly the home), across various devices but with a focus on the large screen and the next generation of Xbox,” the job ad reads.

Source – CVG

Author: Davekraft View all posts by

9 Comments | Open Mic -- Say What You Feel

Rules: have fun, be funny, be a wise ass, don't troll, no threatening others, no racism, be respectful of others and their opinions, and no flame wars. Have fun and make friends as you talk about the topic at hand.


Leave a Comment

  1. By JustAndrew on 01-16-2013 20:53

    I bet this isn't going to work well at all. And how is this going to work for random teams in games? "Oh we have to add each other on Skype first. So let's spend x amount of time doing this tedious crap just so we can talk in the game."

    Microsoft is forcing Skype everywhere they can to try to justify the sad price they paid for it. It's gonna take them about 45 years to make it back off the program.

    Reply

  2. By pdxdylan on 01-16-2013 20:58

    Originally Posted by JustAndrew:
    Quote I bet this isn't going to work well at all. And how is this going to work for random teams in games? "Oh we have to add each other on Skype first. So let's spend x amount of time doing this tedious crap just so we can talk in the game."

    Microsoft is forcing Skype everywhere they can to try to justify the sad price they paid for it. It's gonna take them about 45 years to make it back off the program.

    Will probably just be like Facebook where you connect to Facebook threw Skype, you would just connect threw Xbox with Skype. This will be good for people who use Skype a lot.

    Reply

  3. By Omnislasher on 01-17-2013 00:48

    Well if this is indeed coming to Xbox I hope they fix it before they release. Cause I've been hearing that people can get can hacked or DDOSed if someone gets a hold of your Skype name. Don't quote me 100% on that, it's just something I've heard.

    Reply

  4. By UFC345 on 01-17-2013 15:53

    I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

    Reply

  5. By Davekraft on 01-17-2013 16:27

    Originally Posted by UFC345:
    Quote I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

    It has the potential to be both.

    Reply

  6. By pdxdylan on 01-17-2013 20:54

    Originally Posted by Omnislasher:
    Quote Well if this is indeed coming to Xbox I hope they fix it before they release. Cause I've been hearing that people can get can hacked or DDOSed if someone gets a hold of your Skype name. Don't quote me 100% on that, it's just something I've heard.

    Yeah its true, they can find your IP threw your Skype name.

    Reply

  7. By Davekraft on 01-17-2013 20:58

    Originally Posted by Omnislasher:
    Quote Well if this is indeed coming to Xbox I hope they fix it before they release. Cause I've been hearing that people can get can hacked or DDOSed if someone gets a hold of your Skype name. Don't quote me 100% on that, it's just something I've heard.

    They'll probably figure out a way of either giving your Xbox it's own IP or making it all local or some shit. They're aware of it though so I'd bet on it not being a problem.

    Reply

  8. By CiviCity on 01-23-2013 03:11

    Originally Posted by pdxdylan:
    Quote Yeah its true, they can find your IP threw your Skype name.

    o really

    Reply

  9. By Dento. on 02-13-2013 05:58

    This is definitely not a bad thing, as Skype has never had a problem apart from minor bugs here and there, but they have been fixed almost instantly. I'd say this is a change for the better.

    Reply